Arts Wisconsin, as the state’s arts service, advocacy and development organization, provides legal information, partnerships and connections for Wisconsin artists, performers, nonprofit and for-profit businesses, and other creative entrepreneurs. Wisconsin does not have a separate and independent statewide Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts organization.
Arts Wisconsin partners with the State Bar’s Pro Bono program to seek pro bono legal assistance. We make every effort to find representation, although the State Bar doesn’t guarantee assistance. To apply for this program, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following info:
- the kind of assistance you are seeking (up to three descriptive paragraphs) with relevant background info
- name and contact info (address, phone, email).
- Legal Action Wisconsin: www.legalaction.org
- Info from the Wisconsin State Law Library
- Directory of self-help legal resources in Wisconsin counties (Wisconsin Supreme Court)
- Most counties in Wisconsin have county bar associations. It may be easier and faster to seek assistance closer to home. Click here for info on county bar associations.
Milwaukee area legal resources:
- Marquette University Legal Clinic: www.law.marquette.edu/community/marquette-volunteer-legal-clinic
- Marquette Legal Initiative for Nonprofit Corporations (M-LINC): a free brief legal advice clinic for qualifying Wisconsin nonprofits and organizations seeking tax exempt status. M-LINC assists qualifying organizations during a weekly clinic, which is run on an appointment only basis, now taking appointments for remote services. To request an appointment with M-LINC, fill out the appointment request form at www.m-linc.org. Questions? Contact Katie Mertz, Director of Marquette Legal Initiative for Nonprofit Corporations, Marquette University Law School, P.O. Box 1881, Milwaukee, WI 53201; email@example.com, 414.288.4965
- Legal Aid Milwaukee: www.lasmilwaukee.com/
- Legal Help Milwaukee: www.legalhelpmilwaukee.org/
- More options at www.milwbar.org/legalresources/pro-bono-attorney.htm
Madison area: click here for Madison area low cost legal assistance info.
info updated January 2020