- ESSA (Every Student Succeeds Act): With the new K-12 education bill in place in 2016, arts education advocates are working with their state education leaders to ensure that the arts are a part of their state’s education policies, including measured within state report cards, considered in accountability systems, and supported within well-rounded education. Under the U.S. Department of Education’s proposed regulation, the upcoming 2016-2017 school year would be a transition year for states to finalize their accountability systems to measure school performance. Go to Americans for the Arts’ digital hub AmericansForTheArts.org/ESSA for resources and knowledge sharing.
- The Glee Effect? More Americans Say Music Education Prepares People for Their Careers and Problem Solving Than in 2007 Harris poll, 7-24-14
- Why is Creative Writing Important? The Independent Collegian, July 2012
- Arts Education Partnership:
- Preparing Students for the Next America: The Benefits of an Arts Education, offers a snapshot of how the arts support achievement in school, bolster skills demanded of a 21st century workforce, and enrich the lives of young people and communities.
- ArtsEd Search – the nation’s first online research and policy clearinghouse focused entirely on student and educator outcomes associated with arts learning in and out of school.
- National Endowment for the Arts’ Research Reports on Arts Education
- Americans for the Arts National Arts Education Awareness Campaign (Art. Ask for More.)
- President’s Committee on the Arts and Humanities – “Reinvesting in Arts Education”
ARTS EDUCATION SERVICE ORGANIZATIONS
Local and statewide organizations
- Arts Wisconsin–Wisconsin’s premier organization speaking out for the arts, arts education, and creative economy, to benefit everyone, everywhere in the state
- Arts@Large , Milwaukee – promoting arts education in the Milwaukee school district. The website includes a handbook, advocacy links, and educational resources for artists and teachers.
- ABEA– Promoting education about African American art in Wisconsin.
- Alliance for Wisconsin Theatre Education– Committed to promoting comprehensive theatre education in Wisconsin.
- Organic Arts, Milwaukee – artists with deep roots serving the Wisconsin community
- Wisconsin Advocates for Music Education– A special feature of this organization is a “Music Advocacy Help Line,” a variety of resources including tips, quotes, and research are provided for all those involved in music education including teachers, students, and parents.
- Wisconsin Task Force on Arts and Creativity in Education– Task force met in 2008 and released its report in 2009.
- Wisconsin Art Education Association-Promotes excellence in visual and design art education for all students.
- Wisconsin Dance Council-Serves as an advocate for dance education in our schools.
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction – Fine Arts and Creativity
- Wisconsin Innovative Schools Network – A grassroots network of educators creating and nurturing innovative schools by supporting each other in developing high quality, research based resources and strategies for both educators and students.
Regional and national organizations
- American Alliance for Theatre & Education– A website filled with resources and information about events.
- Americans for the Arts: Arts Education Network-Many resources, including an easy to use e-advocacy center, information about their public awareness campaign “The Arts. Ask for More,” and art education research.
- Arts Education Partnership– Information about forums and an easy to understand state policy database.
- Art Serve Michigan– A toolkit and resource guide with information on how to advocate locally and nationally.
- Kennedy Center Alliance for Arts Educatio Network– Explore the rest of the “Education” section on the Kennedy Center website to see other programs, including Any Given Child. Arts Wisconsin is a member of the KCAAEN.
- National Art Education Association-Easy to use advocacy information and research.
- National Association for Music Education– Resources for every aspect of school music education, including a “Grab and Go Advocacy” flyer.
- National Endowment for the Arts-Art education resources under “Publications.”
- National Guild for Community Arts Education– Links to resources, as well as information about advocacy action the guild is currently taking.
- School Music Matters-Facts, quotations, and an idea bank targeted towards saving your school music program.
- SupportMusic.com – providing tools and resources to advance community support for music education