Wisconsin Creative Summit: Creative Placemaking
Monday, March 11, 2019 – 1-5 pm
Wisconsin Studio, Overture Center for the Arts, Madison
Join your colleagues at the spring 2019 Wisconsin Creative Summit to talk and learn about creative placemaking, what it’s all about, and what it can mean for your community and for Wisconsin. This informal, informational gathering is all about sharing your successes and challenges, telling your stories, and strengthening your work.
If you are involved with and care about the arts, arts education and creative economy in your community as a staff member, board member, or community activist, you should attend this conference. Learn from old and new friends about the role, impact and benefits of the arts in their communities, and share what’s happening in yours.
Bring your best ideas and your curiosity, your brochures, posters and flyers to share about what you are doing, and anything else that shows off the uniqueness and authenticity of your work and your community.
If you’re also attending Arts Day 2019 (and we hope you are!), make the most of your time in Madison by also attending the Summit, and get in some good networking, learning and action-planning the day before.
Schedule (watch for updates)
12:30 pm – Registration
1 pm – Welcome and introductions
1:30 pm – Update on the arts, policy and politics, with Anne Katz, Arts Wisconsin
2-3:30 pm – What do we mean by creative placemaking? Discussion with Wisconsin advocates and experts, including:
- Matt Kures, analyst, UW Extension Center for Community and Economic Development, on the demographics of 21st century change in Wisconsin and what it means for the arts, culture, and creativity
- Jenie Gao, Madison artist, creative director, and entrepreneur on creative placemaking from the artist’s perspective
- Greg Wright, Director, CREATE Portage County, on using creative placemaking to foster the cultures that make small & rural communities thrive in the 21st century.
3:30-3:45 pm – Networking break
3:45-4:45 pm – Discussion:
- What are the opportunities for creative placemaking in your community?
- Who are the partners involved in creative placemaking?
- What’s your community’s next steps in creative placemaking?
4:45-5:00 pm – Wrap up and comments
5 pm – Adjourn
The Summit will take place in the Wisconsin Studio at the Overture Center for the Arts in downtown Madison. The registration fee is only $20. Register for the Creative Summit using the Arts Day 2019 registration form.
The Wisconsin Creative Summit is made possible by the generous support of the Wisconsin Arts Board and the Kohler Foundation. Special thanks to the Overture Center for hosting.