Sunday, December 12, 4:30-6 pm, at Spectrum Gallery, Racine
hosted by Arts Wisconsin and Kenosha/Racine Poets Laureate Commission
This year, Arts Wisconsin is honoring Wisconsin’s local Poets Laureate and Writers-in-Residence with its annual Creative Community Champion Awards.
Arts Wisconsin and the Kenosha/Racine Poets Laureate Commission will honor Racine Poet Laureate Debra Hall and Kenosha Poet Laureate Joseph Engel on Sunday, December 12, 4:30-6 pm, at Spectrum Gallery, 2050 Wisconsin Avenue (east building of the historic DeKoven Center) in Racine. Poetry, music, and refreshments will be featured! Your RSVP will help us plan for the event – RSVP here.
About the Creative Community Champion Awards
Arts Wisconsin, in partnership with the League of Wisconsin Municipalities, presents the annual Wisconsin Creative Champions Awards (former Arts in the Community Awards). These awards honor civic leaders as champions and communities in Wisconsin focused on creativity as integral to civic engagement, community vitality, and access for everyone, everywhere in the state.
The 2021 Creative Community Champion honorees are Wisconsin’s municipal Poets Laureate and Writers in Residence:
- LaMoine MacLaughlin, Poet Laureate, City of Amery
- Lucy Tyrrell, Poet Laureate, City of Bayfield
- Ken Szymanski, Writer in Residence, City of Eau Claire
- Joseph Engel, Poet Laureate, City of Kenosha
- Angela Trudell Vasquez, Poet Laureate, City of Madison
- Dasha Kelly Hamilton, Poet Laureate, City of Milwaukee and Wisconsin Poet Laureate
- Tom Cannon, Poet Laureate, City of Oshkosh
- Debra Hall, Poet Laureate, City of Racine
- Lisa Vihos, Poet Laureate, City of Sheboygan
- Jon Gabois, Poet Laureate, City of Stevens Point
- Dawn Anderson, Poet Laureate, City of Wausau
Poets Laureate and Writers-in-Residence are officially appointed by their municipalities as ambassadors of poetry, literature, literature, and storytelling, and leading community-oriented projects for and with local residents. Establishing a community Poet Laureate provides opportunities for greater appreciation of poetry and creativity, and recognizes the place that poetry has in a community’s cultural tradition and civic life. Any community of any size can establish a Poet Laureate or Writer in Residence program.For more information on the Creative Champion Awards, Wisconsin’s creative sector, and Arts Wisconsin, contact Anne Katz, Executive Director, 608 255 8316 | email@example.com.
About the presenting organizations:
- Arts Wisconsin is Wisconsin’s community cultural development organization. Arts Wisconsin works to ensure that everyone, everywhere in the state has the opportunity to in participate the arts, speaks up and advocates for, and advances the arts, creativity and culture throughout Wisconsin, and connects and serves the wide-ranging, diverse, creative people, organizations, businesses and communities making the arts come alive in every corner of the state. www.artswisconsin.org.
Kenosha/Racine Poets Laureate Commission: The Kenosha/Racine Poets Laureate Program was established in 2011 to celebrate the power and beauty of language by recognizing poets who make meaningful impact on our diverse communities through their poetry, community involvement, and ability to embolden others to take up the pen and speak their souls. www.krpoets.weebly.com.