Connecting people and cultures, growing the economy, educating our kids…that’s what the arts are all about. That’s why the arts are a good investment for our communities and our country.
Here’s the latest news about federal investment in the arts, humanities and community (updated 3-17-17):
The Trump administration has announced its draft FY2018 budget, which includes plans to eliminate a number of federal agencies, including the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities, and privatizing the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. This page will provide up to date information and action steps, as we have them. Please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, comments, and ideas. Thanks for your advocacy-it’s more important than ever.
Arts Wisconsin Action Alerts:
Stay up to date with these resources, and get involved:
- From Arts Wisconsin:
- Follow Arts Wisconsin on Facebook and Twitter for timely updates on issues
- Check Arts Wisconsin’s website, www.artswisconsin.org, for details on specific issues and news
- Make sure you, your colleagues, and your friends are signed up to receive Arts Wisconsin’s Arts Action Alerts.
- More information is at our Federal Funding Issues page.
- Americans for the Arts (AFTA) has established an Arts Mobilization Center for up to the minute info on the arts at the federal level. Send a message to your U.S. Representative and to both U.S. Senators from Wisconsin asking for their support. Americans for the Arts has made it easy for you to send a personalized email message directly to your rep. Start here to send your message, then ask your colleagues, coworkers, friends and family to do the same.
- Why Art Matters to America
By Thomas Campbell, Metropolitan Museum of Art, NY Times, 2-22-17
- Funding the arts is more than preserving culture. It’s big business
By Earle Mack, Randall Bourscheidt, and Robert Lynch, The Hill, 2-19-17
- Popular Domestic Programs Face Ax Under First Trump Budget
NY Times, 2-18-17
- For the umpteenth time, the National Endowment for the Arts deserves its funding
By Dana Gioia, LA Times, 2-17-17
- Arts organizations brace for Trump budget cuts
By Jay Rath, Isthmus, 2-16-17
- NEA, NEH have poured millions into Wisconsin
By Scott Gordon, Tone Madison, 1-23-17
- Arts Advocacy Day 2017 : Not Just Another Day
The Huffington Post
- Arts Groups Draft Battle Plans as Trump Funding Cuts Loom
The New York Times
- Might Ivanka Trump Speak up if Her Father Guts the Arts?
The New York Times
Timeline: What You Need to Know About the Federal Budget Process